PURPOSE OF COURSE is to teach participants how to apply principles of operations research to solve problems in the operating room and perioperative environment:
- Monitoring operational and financial performance of surgical suites and anesthesia groups ("descriptive analytics"),
- Forecasting case durations, time remaining in cases, use of staffed OR time ("predictive analytics"),
- Applying principles of operations research to make common decisions, such as staffing levels, block time planning, case scheduling and assignment, financial management, and strategic planning ("prescriptive analytics"),
- Identifying in-house expertise to aid in problem-solving and determining whether outside consultants are needed,
- Evaluating current decision-support systems.