Annual National Lifebox Challenge
The First Annual National Lifebox Challenge
Pulse oximeters save lives, yet millions of people undergo surgery without this vital monitoring device. To accelerate the Lifebox mission to make surgery and anesthesia safer by equipping all operating rooms worldwide with pulse oximeterers and training in oximetry and the World Health Organization (WHO) Surgical Safety Checklist, the ASA Resident Component is calling on all resident members to participate in the First Annual National Lifebox Challenge.
This nationwide competition among residency programs to sponsor Lifebox pulse oximeters takes place from January to September, 2014. Will you do your part to make surgery safer across the world?
- To raise a minimum of $250 (one Lifebox pulse
oximetry package, including oximeter and
multi-language materials) per anesthesiology
residency program. Estimates suggest that this
would total approximately $38,000, which can
purchase 100 pulse oximeters.
- As part of the global Lifebox strategy, ASA is focusing
its efforts in Latin America. More information will be
coming soon on our target areas for pulse oximeters.
- Every ACGME-accredited anesthesiology residency in
the United States is automatically entered into the competition.
- Funds can be raised by any legal means such as:
single donations, or specialized events such as
sporting events, bake sales or auctions.
- Total funds raised will be adjusted for the number
of anesthesia residents currently in clinical
anesthesia years. Interns and Fellowswill not factor
into calculations, but are encouraged to participate,
along with members of the faculty and community.
- Winner = funds raised/(# CA-1 to CA-3 residents)
- The competition runs from January 1, 2014 to September 1, 2014.
Download Resources for the National Lifebox Challenge: