Application deadline: September 1, 2018
Call for Applications for the 2018-2019 Medical Student Component Governing Council
We invite all ASA medical student members who are interested to apply for the ASA Governing Council Officer positions for the 2019 term (October 2018-October 2019). The deadline for applications is September 1, 2018.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply. When applying, please include the completed application, a personal statement indicating why you want to be an ASA Governing Council Officer (not more than 500 words), a current curriculum vitae and one letter of reference must be submitted. A nomination form may be used in its place. Two letters of reference are required for Chair-Elect applicants. Incomplete materials will not be considered. Email all materials to email@example.com.
Available positions include:
- Chair-Elect (first and second year students only)
- Member at Large
- Senior Advisor (fourth-year students only)
- Alternate Medical Student Delegate to AMA
- Alternate (two people to ensure full representation at the ASA Annual Meeting should one of the elected officers be unable to perform their duties)
All applicants must be ASA members from accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical schools in the United States. With the exception of senior advisor, we encourage fourth year medical students to be mindful in applying for governing council positions, as the service term considerably overlaps the typical residency matriculation date.
Responsibilities of all Governing Council Officers (except the senior advisor) include:
- Attendance at the ASA Medical Student Component House of Delegates Meeting (in conjunction with the ASA ANESTHESIOLOGY® annual meeting)
- Attendance at the ASA Medical Student Component Governing Council Meetings (twice per year) in Rosemont, IL
- A one-year term beginning at the conclusion of ANESTHESIOLOGY® 2018 annual meeting
Applicants may contact the current officers to discuss the duties and responsibilities and to ask any questions. The duties and responsibilities are listed in the ASA Medical Student Component bylaws. Please note: Select submitted materials will be posted online for medical student delegates prior to elections.
We encourage all applicants to attend ANESTHESIOLOGY® 2018 annual meeting. The officers for the next term will be determined by the delegates representing each medical school at the ASA Medical Student House of Delegates meeting, occurring at ANESTHESIOLOGY® 2018 in San Francisco, CA.
Chair, ASA Medical Student Component